Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tribeca Comes Out of Its Wilderness


The Tribeca Film Festival started last night, and I must say, it promises to be a good one -- I watched a sizable number of the films playing for this piece about the 25 Films to See at the Festival, which I collaborated on for Vulture.

One of my favorites of the bunch, Blackthorn, stars the great Sam Shepard, whom I got a chance to interview, briefly, here. I’m actually hoping to also catch it during the festival; it’s a visually staggering film, and the idea of seeing it on a big screen makes me giddy with delight. (Other favorites include the fantastic Italian gangster drama A Quiet Life, which predictably stars Toni Servillo, the Cedric Klapisch whoziwhatsit My Piece of the Pie, and a fun return to form for the great Tsui Hark, Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame [pictured].)

It’ll be interesting to see what viewers think of this year’s titles. I’ve been following the festival over the years since its inception, and have watched with a mixture of concern, bemusement, and fascination as it has struggled to find its identity (Here’s one thing I wrote about it a few years ago.)

There were always good films to watch here, but Tribeca the festival was at times so formless and massive that it failed to provide any context for them; I’m still waiting to find someone else who has even heard of this teeny tiny little Australian gem called Burke & Wills I saw back in 2006. Terrific, unknown films came and went, lost amid what seemed like a thousand other unknown films. Yes, this happens to some degree at any other festival, but rarely to this extent. I remember a few years ago overhearing the following conversation between a critic and a filmmaker.

Filmmaker: I made a film last year that did the festival rounds, called [title redacted].

Critic: I’m afraid I haven’t heard of it.

Filmmaker: It played at Tribeca.

Critic: Ah, that’s probably why I haven’t heard of it.

Luckily, things seem to have settled down over the last couple of years, and Tribeca has been delivering an increasingly solid, much more manageable lineup. True, it will probably always be in this weird subduction zone between Sundance, Berlin, and Cannes, which may limit its ability to attract big-ticket world premieres. But as long as the festival is cool with that, there’s no reason why the rest of us shouldn’t be.

5 comments:

  1. I've seen Burke & Wills! But I'm Australian and it got a short limited release here. I rather liked it: a solid mix of slacker humour and uneasy drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are literally the first person I've corresponded with who has seen it. Amazing! Nice movie, though, right? I'd actually like to see it again. I liked its offbeat mix of tones. Plus it was kind of beautiful, in a ragged sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello, I am faith lawrence After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4 pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him. That was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made a promise that anybody I know that has a relationship problem, I would be of help to such a person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. email: {drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com or what's app +2348100649947} you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.

    1) Love Spells
    2) Lost Love Spells
    3) Divorce Spells
    4) Marriage Spells
    5) Binding Spell
    6) Breakup Spells
    7) Banish a past Lover
    8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell
    9) Want to satisfy your lover
    Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
    through {drodomasolutionhome20@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348100649947  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m 61 years old. I contracted hpv in 2011′ I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I’m totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr Onokun herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away’ seriously believed Dr. Onokun he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. Onokun make it possible for me. Here is Dr. Onokun email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or page at: https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatmentcenter1 or WhatsApp him via +1 ( 323 ) 689 3594 and Website: http://Dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is always beautiful when you have good health.i have be in pain for almost 1 year had HSV 1&2 and I was lonely and sad, luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Oliha who helped me cure my HSV 1&2 and today I am free from the virus and very healthy thank you so much Dr Oliha .Email
    oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com
    you can also whatsapp/Call him; +2349038382931

    ReplyDelete